It was such an honor to win Christian/Gospel Album of the Year for HOLE IN THE SKY last weekend at the 2015 International Music and Entertainment Association (IMEA) Awards Ceremony! It took me by surprise, and I am very thankful to everyone who made this possible, including Swaff, the best producer on the planet; Colt Chambers and IMEA members and voters for providing this opportunity for me; and to all of you who voted, encouraged me, and have been cheering me on every day since the album was released in March (and long before that).
Those of you who know me know that I am always looking for the bigger picture in everything that happens. My favorite Bible verses are Proverbs 3:5-6, that say, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.” Psalm 32:8 says “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” So when I find myself on a path, I am listening for the lesson. This weekend, I was thinking about all of the awards or rewards that I am blessed to experience every day. It would take the rest of my life to list all of them, but here are a few:
- I am able to live during a time and in a place where we can do fun things like make music and go to awards shows.
- I have family and friends who get in their cars every time there is a concert and drive whatever the distance to see it, who send me messages of encouragement (sometimes daily), and who take the time to pray for me! One of these is my sweet sister, Constance (pictured right).
- God allowed me to meet Swaff, who has taken our songs and turned them into what I consider to be masterpieces!
- God has also brought new friends into my life. One example is David Wagner and his wife, Elizabeth (pictured below right), daughter, and parents. I have shared the story many times on this site about the way God allowed our paths to cross so that we would become brothers and prayer warriors for each other.
- I have been given the ability to do the music, and this involves so many direct blessings from God like being able to think, listen, write, and sing.
- I was given parents who encouraged my talents, including my mom who will even record a song with me!
- I have a Creator who makes everything possible, and this is why He is the focus of my music.